- Surgical Process:
- A neck lift is performed through an incision behind the natural curve of the ear. Dr. Beaty adjusts and repositions underlying muscle and fat before lifting, re-draping, and securing the skin in a higher position.
- Due to the fatty deposits discussed above, neck lifts are often coupled with submental jowl (SMJ) liposuction. In this instance, a small incision is made under the chin so Dr. Beaty can access and extract the fat. SMJ liposuction adds extra sculpting for more defined neck contours.
- Healing Process:
- It will take several weeks for a full recovery. However, the majority of swelling and bruising will subside within one week. At your one week follow up, all sutures will be removed. Your face may feel tight while healing, so a soft-food diet is recommended. Work and social activities may resume after two weeks. Although there will be discomfort, most patients do not complain of any severe pain. Dr. Beaty will write prescriptions for medication to ease the healing process.
- After Surgery Care:
- Most patients will need a supportive facial garment for several days after surgery. Dr. Beaty does not use bulky facial dressings. The specific care for incisions and neck skin will depend on your individual procedure and will be reviewed by Dr. Beaty with you on the first day post-operatively.
- Non-Surgical Options:
- Effective non-surgical lifting techniques had limited results until recently. Dr. Beaty offers Ulthera micro-focused ultrasound technology which is the first device to offer significant clinical improvement in facial and brow contour without surgery. In selected patients, this may offer a no down time alternative to surgery.
A Neck Lift repositions both the skin and underlying supportive tissues of your neck to improve structural definition and to tighten the skin for a more youthful appearance.
Am I a good candidate?
Your neck is often the first place to lose elasticity and give into the power of gravity. Fat deposits may gather along the hanging skin, contributing to the “turkey neck” effect. If you are concerned by a substantial loss of definition from your jawline to your neck, you may be a great candidate.