- Surgical Process:
- A facelift is performed through an incision that begins at the temple and extends behind the natural curve of the ear down to the nape of the neck. The length of the incision depends on the extent of the signs of aging and sagging. Dr. Beaty will adjust and reposition underlying muscle and fat before the skin is redraped and the excess is removed. The neck can also be addressed through this incision. Sometimes a small incision is also made under the chin. A facelift isn’t only about taking away; for the most natural results, Dr. Beaty often recommends volume restoration with fat transfer or injectable fillers.
- Healing Process:
- It will take several weeks for a full recovery. However, the majority of swelling and bruising will subside within one to two weeks. At your one week follow up, your sutures will be removed. Your face may feel tight while healing, so a soft-food diet is recommended. Work and social activities may resume after two weeks. Although there will be discomfort, most patients do not complain of any severe pain. Dr. Beaty will write prescriptions for medication to ease the healing process.
- After Surgery Care:
- Most patients will need a supportive facial garment for several days after surgery. Dr. Beaty does not use bulky facial dressings. The specific care for incisions and facial skin will depend on your individual procedure and will be reviewed by Dr. Beaty with you on the first day post-operatively. Hair may be washed on the second day after surgery.
- Dr. Beaty individualizes each facelift performed, depending on each patient’s needs and aesthetic goals. All of his procedures include repositioning of the supportive tissues of the face in addition to skin for a lasting, natural-appearing result. The specific method of repositioning (SMAS, deep plane, endoscopically assisted) will depend on your needs. Beware of ads for lifts with fancy names promising great results with little or no down time. Facelift surgery requires healing time and should be designed to meet the needs of each individual.
- Non-Surgical Options:
- Effective, non-surgical lifting techniques had limited results until recently. Dr. Beaty offers Ulthera, micro-focused ultrasound therapy, which is the first treatment to offer significant clinical improvement in facial and brow contour without surgery. In selected patients, this may offer a no down time alternative to surgery.
A Facelift repositions both the skin and underlying supportive tissues to improve structural definition and to tighten the skin for a more youthful appearance. There are many variations of approach for facelift depending on the area needing treatment. Rather than using special names for types of facelift, Dr. Beaty will discuss your specific needs during consultation and recommend the individualized treatment best suited to your needs. Facelift approaches can range from limited incision methods to full-spectrum lifts addressing the cheek, jowls, and neck.
Am I a good candidate?
Facelifts target any combination of the midface, cheeks, jowls, and neck. If you are concerned by a substantial loss of facial volume, the appearance of eye hollows, drooping jowls, sagging skin, and deep creases, you may be a great candidate for a facelift. This surgical procedure combats the forces of gravity to ensure you look a natural seven to ten years younger.